Friday, June 30, 2006

This Bird Has Flown


Picture at right: The remaining baby bird just before leaving the nest.

UPDATE: I learned that my two birds are female Purple Finches. I saw one this morning (July 1) on my roof accompanied by two young males with the purple-red heads. Later she came and sat on one of the bars of the gazebo after I called to her.

********
In an earlier post I wrote about the bird nest in my backyard gazebo and how I became acquainted with the whole bird family, the mom, pop and two baby birds. Due to the red coloring on the father bird, I am pretty sure they are Purple Finches.

Alas, my little birds are gone. They’ve grown up and left the nest. On Tuesday morning I looked out the kitchen window and saw one of them on the roof of the gazebo, chirping away. She soon flew away and I have seen her no more.

Her sister, however, remained in the nest, reluctant to leave. On Wednesday, I stayed home from work and read in the gazebo. When I peeked into the nest, the remaining bird became frightened of me and flew out of the nest and into the mesh netting that encloses the gazebo. I put my hand under her and she briefly sat on my finger before flapping away again, halted by the mesh and sort of hovering there, chirping softly. This time I gently scooped her up with both my hands. She immediately quieted down and showed no fear, and I walked her back to the nest and placed her in it. She settled down and promptly went to sleep.

The next morning, Thursday, I became worried that this remaining bird might starve because she would not leave the nest. I tried to give her a piece of bread, but this just spooked her again and she flew out of the nest against the mesh again. I briefly touched her, but she slipped through the opening at the top of the mesh and flew chirping towards a tall, leafy tree in a neighbor’s back yard, a tree filled with other birds. So she has now left the nest too.

I looked in the nest last night to see if she might have returned, but she hasn’t. I miss the little birds. I am suffering from “empty nest syndrome”….literally. But I am at least pleased that the two birds grew up well and have successfully assumed life on their own. Now when I sit in the backyard to read, I will look at every Finch and wonder if it is one of my birds. It’d be nice if they'd visit once in a while or at least shoot me an email. Kids! They're all the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do the math. A computer keyboard has maybe 35 keys and birds don't have any fingers at all. It is unlikely they type with their feet, and there are fewer birds in California than came to Big Bird's funeral in the UK.

Birds don't know how to use email, so when you make such a statement you really undermine your own credibility.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Birds don't know how to use email, so when you make such a statement you really undermine your own credibility.
bro says
I think this cretin is serious!!!!