Monday, June 04, 2007

Ayn Rand and "Atlas Shrugged"

Sorry for the dearth of postings over the weekend. I didn't turn my computer on at all - I just read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I am 3/4 of the way through the book and should finish it this week. The book grabbed me and I couldn't put it down.

Funny how liberals hate this book. I remember that film "Dirty Dancing" where a waiter in the vacation clubhouse is mean and nasty. When confronted over his nastiness, he pulls a paperback copy of "Atlas Shrugged" out of his back pocket and essentially says "because of this book!" It was a transparently asinine liberal movie-making trick - sully the quality of the book because the leftwing movie director didn't agree with its content. It's a book that only makes people into mean ol' nasties.

"Atlas Shrugged" is a very liberating book in many ways. It relieves us of guilt for wanting to make money and be successful; it relieves us of the old-fashioned, destructive notion that "money is the root of all evil." After reading the first 800 pages, I feel good, freer somehow.

No comments: