Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Navigating the Streets of San Francisco

I'm working on the audit of a high rise housing cooperative, which is located in San Francisco.  Tomorrow I must venture forth to the City by the Bay, to visit the client and do fieldwork for the audit.

I feel apprehensive.  I have never liked driving in San Francisco.  Some streets are at 45 degree angles from the perpendicular; some streets are one-way only; left hand turns are illegal in much of the downtown, and the drivers there are stark raving mad.  Only that movie character "Mad Max" should ever drive in San Francisco, and then only with his shot gun loaded.

San Francisco is surrounded on three sides by water, so there are limited ways into and out of the city.  The traffic is a nightmare going in and coming back out.

I suppose I will survive.  I always have before.  But I ain't looking forward to it.

5 comments:

Stogie Jr said...

Try it in a 75 feet of tractor and trailer Pop! It's insanity! ..Just drive according to your pucker factor and plan ahead!

pjm said...

Living in San Francisco for the last 10 years I love driving in the city. But it's like anything... practice gives confidence and a comfort level. And when you know where you are going, it's one less thing to worry about. The worst part for me is the rough roads.

I know how you feel though.... I rented a car in Southern Korea and was complete white knuckles. The first place was Jeju Island... which was mellow. Like driving in Hawaii... though I didn't understand any of the signage. My GF at the time was Korean, and she was the "co-pilot", but she failed to realize the importance of translating road signs for me. :)

Then when we hit the mainland we rented a car for a half a day.... might have been Busan. It was on the Ocean... and had a Monterey feel to it. But we went into the city .... it was a madhouse. Narrow two way streets where 1 car has to give the right away... I found myself constantly having to veer towards the curb because they were not slowing down... it was a game of chicken!

Busan... was like driving in the country compared with Seoul. There was no need to rent a car in Seoul (Great Subway System... and cheap taxis). But you talk about crazy... it was insanity! From my vantage point it was complete chaos. I took a couple of buses and the risks that they were taking had me holding on tight. The joke is that Asians can't drive... oh they can drive, but they come from places where there are no rules to the road.

I've learned.... it's not worth driving in foreign countries.

Heading off to Sydney... some surfing in Maroubra and some single track cycling. There will be some driving... but it will be the fun type. :)

Stogie said...

Thanks for that entertaining tale, pjm. I will pretend I'm you tomorrow and maybe I will enjoy driving in San Francisco! :)

pjm said...

Whatever it takes... :) As Stogie Jr. said... Plan Ahead. Give yourself enough time and know your route. And hopefully you'll get a chance to enjoy a some of the city. Should be a nice day.

What part of town?

Stogie said...

pjm, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. In fact, I took your advice and enjoyed the drive.

I was in the Nob Hill section, I think -- near Grace Cathedral on Jones Street.