Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy Anniversary of Pickett's Charge

Pickett's Charge was 145 years ago today. We lost, but what the heck, it was worth a try. If the Dems win in November we may give it another go.

I was SO ready for this three day weekend. It was hard seeing my work all day, with one eye glued to the clock and all. Kind of made me dizzy. But now I am ensconced in my backyard gazebo, a fresh cigar to titillate my taste buds, a bottle of Diet Lipton green tea at my side. The weather is cool and mild and lovely.

Tomorrow at this time, my small, rural town of Hollister, California will sound like a small war and I will be able to watch spectacular fireworks displays from my backyard. Not ones put on by the city, ones put on by my neighbors. Fireworks are still legal in Hollister and people buy their own arms caches from Mexico or other places where they make serious ordnance.

It's been a few years since Bro and I first celebrated the 4th of July. It was on our uncle's farm near Dallas, where we learned that cherry bombs under a can created a pretty cool rocket, and also made great big holes in cow pies. Then there was the cherry bomb in an empty beer bottle, flung as high as possible in the air! Ahh, the shrapnel was thrilling. Strangely enough, we emerged from childhood unmaimed and still alive. Please don't try this at home, we were trained professionals.

Lately I have been enjoying Alfred Hitchcock with my evening cigar. I found a site that has all of the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" television shows from 1955 through 1957. You can watch them from your computer screen and they are very clear. Hitch was really funny in his opening introduction and closing remarks. You have to watch three very short commercials for each episode, but it's worth it. The link is here: http://www.hulu.com/alfred-hitchcock-presents.

As Hitch would say, "Goooood Eeeeeevning."

No comments: