Saturday, July 19, 2008

Songstress Jo Stafford Dies

I have always loved the music of Jo Stafford. Her song "You Belong to Me" was my favorite. Ms. Stafford died last Sunday at the age of 90.

The Los Angeles Times has her story:
Jo Stafford, a singer who was a favorite of GIs during World War II and whose recordings made the pop music charts dozens of times in the 1950s, died Sunday of congestive heart failure at her home in Century City. She was 90.

Jo Stafford had a series of hits in the 1950's and I remember listening to them as a child and loving them all. They included I'll Walk Alone, I'll Be Seeing You and I Don't Want to Walk Without You.

Powerline has the best summary of her accomplishments and a description of why she was so special.

Ms. Stafford leaves behind a legacy of great music. Below is a video of her singing "You Belong to Me," followed by the words.



YOU BELONG TO ME

See the pyramids along the Nile
Watch the sun rise on a tropic isle
Just remember darling all the while
You belong to me

See the market place in old Algiers
Send me photographs and souvenirs
Just remember when a dream appears
You belong to me

I'll be so alone without you
Maybe you'll be lonesome too
And blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember till you're home again
You belong to me

I'll be so alone without you
Maybe you'll be lonesome too
And blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
But remember darling, till you're home again
You belong to me

No comments: