Saturday, November 08, 2014

Lucky October

October was an especially lucky month for me.  My long favorite team, the San Francisco Giants, won the World Series in a hard-fought, seven game matchup against a powerful team.  I interviewed for a temporary assignment as the stand-in Director of Finance for the Monterey chapter of a large, national non-profit organization.  I was the only one interviewed, and was offered the job, which I accepted. Then, one day after October ended, my youngest son was married in Corona, (Southern) California.  Three days later, the Republican wave occurred, sweeping the despised Democrats out of office all across the nation, to my great satisfaction.

The Director of Finance job is quite challenging.  It is temporary, as I am a fill-in for the vacant position until a permanent replacement can be found.  I don't accept permanent jobs, as I am supposed to be retired.  I like working during the tax season, but like sleeping in the remaining nine months of the year.  Right now I have to leave the house at 6 AM in order to arrive by 8 AM, and have been reintroduced to the joys of commuting through heavy traffic.

The job is in Monterey, California, one of my favorite towns.  It is a very scenic town on the coast, and I see ocean waves breaking on beaches as I commute to work in the morning.  Lately, traffic has been terrible due to road construction, and it takes more than an hour to get to work, and just as long to return home in the evenings.  I hope to make some extra income, as I need it for some dental bills and for a new acoustic bass amplifier that I plan to buy.

I don't know how long the job will last.  Maybe one, two or three months.  Then I'll find another one, if I so desire.  If I do good work on the current job, more will be easier to get.

My new daughter-in-law is Korean.  She was born in South Korea.  Her parents, very nice people, do not speak English with great fluency.  Her mom wore a traditional Korean dress to the wedding, and looked quite fetching in it:  a red blouse with a long black skirt.  She is anxious for the wedding to bear fruit:  she wants grandchildren.  We are on the same page.

2 comments:

SarahSue said...

Stogie,

My brother married a Vietnamese woman. Her family were very
gracious, especially to my mother. Everything was going well until her mother
asked my mother how old she was. My mother kept her age a secret from everyone,
including her kids. My mother was speechless and the moment was very awkward. However,
those kind of moments did not happen very often.

It would be interesting for you to write posts every so
often to let us know how the culture exchange is going.

I am happy that things are going well for you. I bask in
your happiness!

SarahSue

P.S. If you have not seen the Joy Luck Club, it is
worth watching

Stogie Chomper said...

SarahSue, my wife is Filipina, and our son who just married is half-Filipino. His new wife is very Americanized, cool and hip like our son, a university graduate like our son, and a business executive, like our son. They have a lot in common! My daughter-in-law's parents, however, are still quite Korean, but are very nice. I didn't see the Joy Luck Club, but I did read the book! It was very well written and I loved the descriptions, e.g. the remains of dinner were "the bones of a fish still swimming upstream in vain escape."


Yes, that must have been awkward when your brother's mother-in-law asked that question. That is a good example of a cultural difference.