Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Nazi Helmet Restoration: The Finished Helmet

Restoration of a German M-40 Helmet of WW II
(Click to see larger image)
I have finished my project for the week:  restoring a German M-40 helmet from World War II.

I spent yesterday spray painting the helmet, then lightly rubbing it out with very fine steel wool.  I am very pleased with the results, as I have never before successfully spray painted anything in my life.

This morning I installed the new liner, a reproduction of the liner used in original German helmets.  After that, I applied the Wehrmacht decals - eagle on the left side, national colors on the right side.

The spray paint that I used and recommend is Apefelgrun [Apple Green] from 1944 Militaria.  The color is actually more of an army olive green.

The helmet's original appearance, as I received it from the seller in Europe, can be viewed here.

Note:  My interest in Nazis is strictly a historical interest.  I in no way endorse their cause or hateful ideology.

2 comments:

Proof said...

Excellent job, Stogie! Maybe you could get work as an extra wearing it...if you could just lose the bow tie! Heh.

Stogie Chomper said...

There are WW2 reenactors who buy the whole uniform, jack boots and weapons, but it's an expensive hobby. I used to do Civil War reenacting as a Confederate, and reenacting allows you to learn the nitty-gritty of uniforms, equipment, tactics, marching and other skills. I'm a bit long in the tooth for that now, though. I was an extra in the movie Gettysburg, with Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee. It was great fun. No, the bow ties are just for the office, though I did wear one on jury duty as well.