|Restoration of a German M-40 Helmet of WW II|
(Click to see larger image)
I spent yesterday spray painting the helmet, then lightly rubbing it out with very fine steel wool. I am very pleased with the results, as I have never before successfully spray painted anything in my life.
This morning I installed the new liner, a reproduction of the liner used in original German helmets. After that, I applied the Wehrmacht decals - eagle on the left side, national colors on the right side.
The spray paint that I used and recommend is Apefelgrun [Apple Green] from 1944 Militaria. The color is actually more of an army olive green.
The helmet's original appearance, as I received it from the seller in Europe, can be viewed here.
Note: My interest in Nazis is strictly a historical interest. I in no way endorse their cause or hateful ideology.