Friday, February 14, 2014

A Stogie Valentine


Happy Valentine’s Day, y’all.

My wife and I have been married for over 37 years.  When we were dating, she refused to believe that she was “the one” for me, and always told me “I’m just your Saturday girl.”  As if I had a different girl for every day of the week!  Yeah, right.

Wifey was referring to the Liza Minelli movie “The Sterile Cuckoo,” whose theme song was “Come Saturday Morning” by the Sandpipers.  We went and saw that movie together.  So now that song always reminds me of my young and sweet girlfriend, now my wife.  This morning when we exchanged Valentine's gifts and cards, mine was addressed "To My Saturday Girl."

Here’s the video of the song for your enjoyment.
  

4 comments:

Always On Watch said...

An excellent Valentine's Day post!

"Come Saturday Morning" was one of my favorite songs back in the day. But I don't have an romantic association with it. In fact, in 1969, I wasn't dating anyone. I didn't start dating Mr. AOW until 1972; unlike most couples, we don't have a song that we claim as "our song."

Stogie Chomper said...

I would say that "Come Saturday Morning" is one of our songs, our first song. Others include "Morning Has Broken" and Beehoven's Ninth Symphony, "Ode to Joy," both of which were played at our wedding. Another song we loved when we were apart, before we married, when I was working in Phoenix, was "The Last Farewell" by Roger Whittaker.

Always On Watch said...

All are lovely tunes!

Mr. AOW and I don't "have songs." But I'll bet you that if I asked Mr. AOW if we did, he'd reply "The Stripper!"

Stogie Chomper said...

Uh oh!!