Saturday, February 22, 2014

How to Tie a Bow Tie

Stogie All Cleaned Up With Bow Tie
I like that H&R Block ad where a man wearing a green bow tie rambles on about the billion dollars in tax refunds that Americans leave behind when they try to do their own taxes.  I do taxes.  I wanted a green bow tie.  So I bought one off of E-Bay and decided to learn to tie it.

I have never before worn or tied a real bow tie.  When I was a kid, I wore those clip on bow ties to church or other dress-up occasions.  However, tying a real one is tricky, at least at first.

I watched a few YouTube videos on the subject, and most of them are worthless.  I managed to get through most of it, but the last step is the hard one, and I wound up with a wild glob of green silk bunched under my chin.  I looked more mad than dashing.  After much swearing and cussing at the infernal, rebellious ribbon, I gave up in disgust.  However, my secretary at work watched a YouTube video (the best one is here), and tied a very neat bow tie around a Pringles can.  I then had her tie it on me, and she again did a great job (see picture).

Now, after much practice, I can tie my own bow tie and plan to buy several more in different colors and designs (e.g. paisley, stripes, polka-dots).

The tax clients seemed to like the tie and their reactions were friendly, solicitous and cheerful.  A bow tie is dress-up, but in a friendly fun-filled way.

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

Dashing!!

Stogie Chomper said...

Awwww, thanks!

Proof said...

You can be the George Will of Bloggerdom! (Or Les Nessman!)

Stogie Chomper said...

Thanks, but Will is too establishment for me. Nevertheless, I ordered several more bow ties in different colors.

Always On Watch said...

Mr. AOW used to wear a sequined bow tie -- green, of course -- during St. Patrick's Day week when he was bartending at the VFW. He didn't have to tie the thing. I'm not sure that he knows how to tie a bow tie.

Stogie Chomper said...

You can buy pre-tied bow ties, but I prefer the challenge of tying it myself. I am getting better at it every day. It takes practice. Yes, I will definitely wear my green one on St. Patrick's Day!