Saturday, March 15, 2014

Stogie the Tax Meister

At the tax firm where I work, clients are asked by email to rate their tax preparer.  My ratings have been very positive.

Last night there was a meeting of the employees at the tax firm, and the manager informed the crew that my comments from clients were "rave reviews," were the best ones received, and that I was THE "tax professional of the office."

Needless to say, this was an ego boost for me.    It is gratifying to know one is doing his job well.

The truth is, I enjoy doing taxes.  I relate very well to the clients, from the lowliest bus boy to the high tech guy making six figures.  I treat everyone with respect, because I consider their trust in me to be an honor.  I fight for every dollar they have coming, and I know the angles.  Or most of them, anyway.

I don't, however, help anyone to cheat.  I resent cheaters.

I particularly enjoy writing opposition letters to the IRS or California Franchise Tax Board, when those bodies have exceeded their authority or wrongly assessed additional taxes from the client.  I have a very good record of getting these bodies to reverse their assessments.

The tax season ends in 30 more days.  It's been fun, but I'm looking forward to the off season.

4 comments:

bro said...

Hit them up for a raise!!!

Stogie Chomper said...

Instead of that, which would be futile, I will probably opt for employment elsewhere instead, for next tax season.

Always On Watch said...

Wow! Congrats, Stogie.

We finally got the necessary K-1's. The tax firm that I use should have our tax returns completed ASAP. I get pissed off every year when I see just how much in taxes we're paid -- and, many times, still have to pay because it's so difficult to estimate with preciseness what our estimated payments should be. Also, there is such a huge discrepancy between the federal tax code and the state of Virginia's tax code; sometimes we owe big bucks to the feds and, at the same time, get a huge refund from the state.

Stogie Chomper said...

The difference between federal and state also shows up often in California as well.