Saturday, February 09, 2013

Photoshop Reconstruction of WINGED VICTORY of Samothrace

"Winged Victory" is a Greek statue of the goddess Nike. It was excavated on the island of Samothrace in 1863, and now stands in the Louvre Museum in Paris. I saw it there in 2007. Archaeologists have dated the statue to 190 B.C.  When the statue was found, the head, arms and right wing were missing. A reverse copy of the left wing was made in plaster and attached to the statue. I have wondered how the statue appeared before it was ruined by the passing centuries, and have attempted a Photoshop reconstruction here. I referred to other images and statues of Nike, most of which show the goddess with her right arm raised overhead, clutching a wreath, which symbolizes victory in war. Read more about Nike of Samothrace here.  (By the way, the Greek word "Nike" means "victory" and is pronounced nee-kay.)


Update:  My wife thought the arms I added were too thin, so I used the bloat/liquify tool to thicken them.  I think she's right:  a buxom lady like this would not have skinny arms.




15 comments:

Stogie said...

Very nice, Stogie!


Do you happen to know if the statue in its original form had any paint on it? Some of the Roman statues apparently did -- as evidenced by the excavations at Pompeii.

Stogie said...

I haven't heard any source mention paint. Originally, the statue was white marble, but was buried for centuries, which may explain its brownish color today.

Stogie said...

You might want check this out:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/52923

Stogie said...

Just saw it at the Louvre a few days ago. Your reconstruction looks good, but I'm thinking that the head would have been facing forward and turned upwards towards the sky, Prettier, too. Arms - I think you nailed it.

Stogie said...

DrDan, I used a Greek statue head I found elsewhere. If you can point me to a better one, I will gladly redo it.

CelestialOne said...

Actually the head is lovely. I think a longer neck and upward tilt would add both strength and grace (even if not completely anatomically accurate) .

Joao Esquível said...

I was just wondering how it would look.... But there is something "wrong" with the size of the head. It should be bigger....... If one tries to see the head, the waist and the poitrine at the same time the head looks shrunken. Just trying to help...

Cincylance said...

My wife and I were at the Louvre last fall and saw Winged Victory in all her beauty. We were excited to see the recent addition of her "reunited" hand off to the side in a glass display case. The hand pose was open with fingers extended.

Stogie Chomper said...

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a photo of the hand.

Stogie Chomper said...

I'll try enlarging the head when I have a chance.

Stogie Chomper said...

I think you're right about a longer neck. I'll try adding it.

Ashraf Khayat said...

Thanks for this great reconstruction. I notice you left the right wing, even though it is made of plaster. Most sources indicate it was elevated higher than the left. Since the right hand has also been found, it seems that there's a consensus the arm was raised and bent at the elbow, and the hand was cupped around her mouth calling out.

Stogie Chomper said...

Cincy, the right hand, found in 1948, only has one finger and the thumb remaining. That's not much on which to build a consensus.

Stogie Chomper said...

DrDan, I believe you are correct about the head looking forward. The statue was originally posed on the prow of a ship (which served as the stand), and a ship's figurehead would certainly be looking forward. Fixed it.

Stogie Chomper said...

I raised the left wing a bit per your suggestion.