Monday, November 25, 2013

Burial of JFK, J.D. Tippit and Lee Harvey Oswald; My Memory of The Texas Theater

Fifty years ago today there were three funerals and burials:  that of President John F. Kennedy, Officer J.D. Tippit, and Lee Harvey Oswald.  Oswald, the murderer of the first two, was ironically buried the same day as his victims, Monday, November 25, 1963.  All three died of gunshot wounds, and all three died as a result of Oswald's heinous crimes.

Oswald was captured in the Texas Theater, a movie theater in Dallas.  It's funny, but my family drove by the Texas Theater in the summer of 1962.  I had just graduated from high school in California, and my father wanted to drive to Texas to visit relatives.  As we entered Dallas, I was sitting in the back seat of my dad's Cadillac, on the right side of the car, and looking out the window at the passing scene.  We drove by a movie theater, and it made an impression of me because of its unusual sign:  a semicircle of yellow stars with blue letters spelling out TEXAS.

This stuck in my mind, and when Oswald was arrested in the Texas Theater, I wondered if it was the same one in my memory.  For years I couldn't be sure, but then came the Internet.  Today you can Google anything and find answers instantly.  I found several pictures of the Texas Theater, and it is the one I saw in 1962.  See pictures.

No comments: