Sunday, December 29, 2013

Raindrops on a Window - My Latest Photoshop

My latest desired Photoshop technique is to put realistic raindrops on a window pane.   I worked on this over the past three days in an attempt to learn some ways to do this.

UPDATE:  I didn't like the odd shapes of the raindrops in my first attempt, directly below.  So I changed the way I created the random shapes, by using a simple hard round brush to create a defined brush set, then turned on the shape dynamics, scattering and smoothing brush presets, to create the rounder shapes.  I also filled the window pane with tiny droplets as well as the scattering of larger droplets.  This makes the pane look wetter and more realistic.

Here is the update:




My first attempt is below.  The tutorial I used can be found at this link.

I used "distort/glass" to make the scene slightly blurry, as if the pane was wet from the rain, then used noise and other Photoshop tools to create the raindrops.  I used a brush to create the falling rain. The result is acceptable, but I want to learn some different techniques to create this rain effect.  My Photoshop is directly below, and the original photo is below that. [See update above, using a better technique].

Here's the original photo before the Photoshop applications.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Glad you are having fun photoshopping and you are feeling better.

Before we got our MacBook Pros, we use Windows PC of course. We had a photoshop program called Micrografx Picture Publisher. Haven't been able to purchase that program for years, it was bought out by another company.

Micrografx is the easiest program to use and I really missed it, it would not work on the Mac. Hubby bought me Windows Parallels Desktop, which is supposed to allow you to have two desktops on one computer, Windows and Mac, and allow you to use Windows programs. Don't waste your money. Mac runs so smoothly, Parallels is a disaster, and I can't use the Micrografx program. Learning a new one is a pain, but perhaps I can get inspired by you to take the time to do it.

Have a wonderful, happy, healthy New Year.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Stogie Chomper said...

Debbie, Photoshop is a great program and very powerful. See if they offer it at a local community college or adult education class; that way you can buy it at half price with a student discount. It runs great on Macs as well as PCs.

Always On Watch said...

Nicely done, Stogie!


I want to take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year. May 2014 be good to you!

Stogie Chomper said...

Thanks AOW, Happy New Year to you and Mr. AOW. 2014 couldn't be any worse than 2013, so it's bound to be better!