Thursday, May 26, 2011

Joplin, Missouri: More Incredible Pictures and Videos of Devastation

The UK Mail online has some incredible photos and videos of the devastation in Joplin, Missouri.

As I mentioned before, Bro and I lived there in childhood, and Joplin has many special memories for us.

I was concerned about the fate of my elementary school alma mater, Irving School. I googled it and was dismayed to learn that Irving School is one of several that are declared "a total loss."  After all these years, the quaint red brick school building is now rubble.  I attended 2nd grade into 4th grade there, until we moved to California in January 1954.

Since our former home was near Irving School, it is a good bet that it was destroyed as well.

See the UK Mail online photos and videos at this link.

5 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Losing childhood landmarks is the loss of our touchstones.

I've watched many of my childhood touchstones here in Northern Virginia get demolished in the name of progress.

But one can get used to "progress."

Losing touchstones because of a catastrophic even is totally different -- and more wrenching.

Stogie said...

AOW, I know what you mean. There is a shopping center where my high school used to be. I feel like my past is being erased.

Always On Watch said...

As one still living where I was born and bred, I feel as if I'm not living at home any longer. Eerie feeling.

kate said...

Bonsoir Stogie , j'avais écrit un post et il n'est pas,alors je voulais dire que je trouve ce qui est arrivé vraiment terrible . Je souhaite que tous ces gens soient vite aidés ,quel malheur ...

bro said...

Our old house is still there