This new year opens my mind to new possibilities, in a way that 2009, 2010 and 2011 did not. The past three new years were all about Obama, socialism, economic depression and no hope for anything better. The Obama economy is akin to surviving a tornado: all you can do is hold on and wait for it to end.
Now there is the hope that 2012 will be the last year in office of a terrible president, and at long last we can begin to rebuild the economy.
Some personal resolutions for 2012:
1. To improve my health, attitude and energy level, though diet and exercise. Specifically, to drop 30 pounds.
2. To increase my earnings. In 2006, I earned $140,000 in W2 salary. I earned less than $3,000 in 2011. Realistically, I won't earn at my 2006 level anymore. I would, however, like to earn $35,000 in 2012, just to pay personal expenses, buy new high tech toys and items to support my music endeavors.
3. To continue learning Spanish. I want to be fluent in this language within two years. Specifically, to complete Spanish 1B and 2A in 2012 with an A grade in both.
4. To greatly increase my skill in playing double bass (also called upright or string bass), specifically, in jazz swing, jazz standards and mellow jazz. I want to learn/create bass lines for 50 standards from the Great American Songbook.
5. To become good enough at singing to contribute vocally in band performances. I am studying and practicing singing and have improved substantially since I began back in August.
6. To finally reach one million hits on this blog. I am now nearing 850,000 and expect to realize this goal by summer or before.
Rip Van Reporter
11 minutes ago