Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Off My Meds! Horrors!

I have two major goals for 2013: (1) to optimize and better manage my mental state and (2) to increase my energy level to increase personal productivity.

Three days ago I went off Zoloft cold turkey. After 15 years on this drug, I am tired of feeling drunk, dizzy, medicated and anesthetized. I'll take my chances with depression, and if I have to return to an SSRI, I'll try a different one. Right now I feel as dizzy as ever, because my body hasn't acclimated. I do not, however, feel depressed.

The reason why so many people quit their meds is for this reason: they don't like the unnatural feeling of being medicated. For the seriously disturbed, this is dangerous. My wife's best friend has a son who is schizophrenic, went off his meds, and is now in jail. I, however, pose no such danger, even to myself. I was a voluntary partaker of Zoloft. I just don't like the side effects: lethargy, dizziness, the irresistible compulsion to stockpile automatic weapons and ammunition. Okay, that last one was a joke.

Or WAS it? Spooky music: doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo! (Think Twighlight Zone.)

1 comment:

OhReilly said...

I suppose this means that the chemical imbalance of serotonin in Stogie's brain has been corrected, now that he's decided to go off his SSRI meds.