Monday, December 03, 2012

Practical Uses of an iPad

Okay I have a new iPad, an early Christmas present. I never really wanted one before because you can't (I thought ) use them for spreadsheets or word processing. However, I was wrong about that. I just bought an app for $10 that produces spreadsheets similar to and compatible with Excel. It also allows you to word process and do graphic presentations.

Blogger has an app that allows me to blog from my iPad, and I'm doing that now, mainly to try out its capabilities.

So an iPad allows one to do these tasks, assuming he has a WiFi connection:
1. Browse the Internet;
2. Blog;
3. Take photos and videos (Internet not required);
4. Read and send email and tweets:
5. Download and play videos and music;
6. Stream both audio and video from the Internet, like on YouTube (I listened to Rush today and the iPad has a port for connecting earphones);
7. Buy apps to play games, like the popular "Angry Birds";
8. Use other applications like spreadsheets and word processing.
9. Read books in Kindle format using a free app.

You can do all of these things with any modern laptop, but the advantage of an iPad is its portability and long battery life. You can put it in your briefcase, or in your purse if you have the mini model, making it usable for work or entertainment from an airport, a mall, a park or just about anywhere.

2 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Mr. AOW has subscribed to Blue Collar Comedy on his iPad (We have Sirius XM Satellite Radio). I like the comedy okay, but what I really love about Sirius XM is the music channels. Something there for everybody!

Stogie Chomper said...

I will have to check that out! Find myself a mellow jazz station.