Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Pleasant Sunday: Stogie Band Plays in Palo Alto

This afternoon my band played for a block party in Palo Alto, California.  A neighborhood there closed off the street, homeowners brought out their tables and grills and beer and lawn chairs.  Then they ate, drank, mingled and listened to us play music.

We were good.  No brag, just fact.  AND, we got paid, $50 each.  I wasn't expecting that.  I thought we were just playing for practice, for fun and for exposure.  It will pay for a tank of gas, so I can't complain.

It was obvious that the 100 or so persons there enjoyed themselves; they were smiling and friendly and grateful.

Our band is rare in that we have no drama queens or interpersonal issues; we like the same kinds of music and like and support each other.  We are all equally committed to building our band and continuously adding more songs to our repertoire.

After pie and coffee at our drummer's house (he lives in the neighborhood), I drove home feeling very much at peace in my soul.  Playing music, and striving to be good at it, chases away a lot of demons.

No comments: