Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Most Depressing July Fourth of My Life

Roger Simon at Pajamas Media expresses my feelings exactly:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen my country so divided and depressed on the Fourth of July in my lifetime and - no matter what Bob Dylan dreamed up - I’m not young, or otherwise. That includes the Vietnam War period when both sides at least had some conviction and excitement for the future, even if wrong. Not so now. The current situation is grim.

Obama is already over. In six short months the now-spattered bumper stickers with “Hope and Change” seem like pathetic remnants from the days of “23 Skidoo,” the echoes of “Yes, we can” more nauseating than ever in their cliché-ridden evasiveness. Although they may pretend otherwise, even Obama’s choir in the mainstream media seems to know he’s finished, their defenses of his wildly over-priced medical and cap-and-trade schemes perfunctory at best. Everyone knows we can’t afford them. His stimulus plan - if you could call it his, maybe it’s Geithner’s, maybe it’s someone else’s, maybe it’s not a plan at all - has produced absolutely nothing. In fact, I have met not one person of any ideology who evinces genuine confidence in it.

Read the whole thing.

I feel the same way; I have not much optimism for the future of this country or our personal liberty and economic security. We have elected a naive ideologue who hasn't a clue as to how the world works or why. Our national security is being weakened at a time when our liberties are being eroded and our economy trashed by statist schemes. The immediate future appears to hold hardship for many, a higher cost of living, more taxes, greater government intervention into our private lives (via the global warming scam), and crushing national debt. For many years into the future, many of us will be living hand-to-mouth. The path of economic self-betterment and opportunity has thus been made much more difficult for those seeking to rise.

I agree with Simon. The outlook is grim.

No comments: