Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Boring Week, But a Couple of Newsworthy Tidbits

It's been a boring week for news and so blogging has been light.  Okay, non-existent.

I see the powers that be are once again trying to force a Palestinian state on the world.  The Palestinians will never accept the right of Israel to exist, due to their hateful and intolerant religion, and so the whole exercise is doomed to failure.  But we will keep replaying the same tired scenario over and over again, under the false premise that a Palestinian state will somehow lead to peace.  It won't.  As long as Islam exists as a major ideology in the world, there will be no peace.  Unfortunately, we have no long-term strategy for containing and neutralizing the threat.

I also see that Chinese officials have stated that they will not oppose Israel, should it decide to attack Iran.  China has long ago concluded that the purpose of the Iranian nuclear program is to build a nuclear bomb, and that such an occurrence is not in China's interests.  Religious fanatics with nukes are not in anyone's interests.

On a personal note, I am taking Spanish at the local community college.  I am semi-literate in French and love the language, but Spanish is more practical here in California.  I am taking to it like a duck to water, because of its similarities to French and because I have already picked up a lot of it from osmosis, that is, local immersion in the language due to the large numbers of Spanish-speaking people here. There are billboards in Spanish, as well as radio stations, television shows and soap operas.  Plenty of Mexican restaurants and plenty of Mexicans, many of whom are very nice people and many of whom are actually here legally.

In any case, it's a great way to keep the mind active.

I am also learning how to sing so I can contribute vocally to any bands I happen to play with, but we won't go there right now.  Let us just say that I can sing better than Ted Kennedy and I speak better Spanish too.  That would still be true even if he wasn't dead.

No comments: