Saturday, May 12, 2012

Update to my Digital Reconstruction of the Sphinx

Ever so often I like to meddle with my Photoshop reconstruction of the Sphinx.  That reconstruction is one of my most popular posts, with students of ancient Egypt viewing it regularly.

The last time I updated the reconstruction, I was somewhat satisfied with it, but not completely.  There's always something that's not quite right.  Today I fixed the chin a bit and reduced the size of the eyelids so they look more natural.  I also slimmed the nose just a tad and worked on the mouth.  Now it really is much closer to what I imagine the original Sphinx looked like.

Have a look here if interested.

I read somewhere that the ancient Egyptians forbade artistic depictions of people in anything but glum, expressionless poses.  That explains why the Sphinx appears stoned, with his very stoic expression.

No comments: