Saturday, October 11, 2014

Playing Bass: A Moment of Personal Satisfaction

I played well at my last big band practice of last Thursday.  I finally have my amplification problem solved, and I have plenty of volume, great tone, and no feedback.  I was the first one to arrive, and had my bass all tuned up and ready to go by the time the bandleader arrived.  Faris, the bandleader, started playing jazz standards on the piano while the rest of the band was arriving.  He played "Brother Can You Spare a Dime," a depression-era song.  The chord progression was easily discernible, and I joined in on bass.  I could tell he was pleased with the result.

Now that the band can actually hear the bass, they seem to like it.  After the practice, one of the trumpet players told me "I really like the bass!"

As I departed for home after practice, I felt I had turned a corner, that my musical goals were becoming a reality.  It was a great feeling.

No comments: