Saturday, February 17, 2007

My New Laptop Is LUNCHED and Other News

This past week I was working feverishly on my new notebook computer with Intel 2 core duo processor and spilled a big cup of tea directly into the keyboard. My new laptop, though drenched, continued running Vista. I shut it down as quickly as possible and began the drying process, but the notebook was damaged. Now when I try to boot it up it sounds an alarm. I suspect the cooling system. The fan comes on briefly and then shuts down. It probably has a short.

So on Monday or Tuesday, I will take it to a repair shop and say "fix it"! And I will pay the $200 - $400 fee for being an idiot. If my computer could talk, it would look at me, spit out a mouthful of stale tea, and say "What a Schmuck!"

Pastorius, the brains behind the Infidel Bloggers Alliance blog, has gone over to Atlas Shrugs to work for Pamela Geller. Lucky stiff. Pam is gorgeous, smart and relentless against our common enemies, namely, Muslim terrorists and their supporters, generally, the Democratic Party. Pam gets more hits in an hour than I have in the past year of this blog's existence. But I am not really in it to change the world. I just want an avenue for sounding off when something bugs me or when I want to create insensitive and insipid cartoons.

I had a great week at work. I was working on the accounting for stock options using something called the Black-Scholes financial model, and I decided to master the concept of stock volatility (so I could check the rates used by corporations in their SEC reporting). I ordered some books from Amazon and learned that historical stock volatility is merely the the standard deviation of the change in the natural logarithm of the stock price over time, annualized. Hey no sweat! That gave me a great feeling of satisfaction to be able to compute it. Plus, as a financial consultant, I can sell the knowledge to corporations who need to comply with FAS 123R.

Maybe I can even earn enough to buy a water-proof computer.

No comments: