Monday, April 21, 2008

The Theory of Evolution: A Crock or Scientific Fact?

Ben Stein has released a documentary called "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed." The film is about the intolerance of big Science and academia to those who question the theory of evolution. Various professors are interviewed and tell of academic persecution for their lack of faith in Darwinism. One is told to shut up, another is denied tenure, others are socially ostracized. The trailer to this film follows this text. Do watch it.

The liberal/left faction of academia simply cannot allow competing ideologies on the origins of life on earth. The reason is simple: if life didn't evolve from the muck by blind chance, then God might actually exist. If there is anything the liberal left hates, it is a belief in God. Such beliefs must be repressed at all costs.

I once was a biology major in college and took quite a few courses in biology, zoology, anthropology, chemistry, botany and genetics. I believed in the theory of evolution as fact because it was taught as fact in the college classroom.

Today I am not a member of any organized religion, but I have an open mind about God, creation and everything else. This means that I do not have a vested interest in either evolution or creationism. However, I know that Stein is right about the rigid and closed-mindedness of academia. They are a snooty lot, given to great disdain for the "ignorant"masses who do not subscribe to their theories.

As Stein points out in the film, the smallest unit of life, the cell, is astoundingly complex. One living cell is more complicated and intricate than, say, New York City. Yet we are supposed to believe that a cell first evolved from a mud puddle that was struck by lightening, or some other such random, improbable event.

My mind was not always open on this subject. I believed in evolution. I would not consider the possibility that it was wrong. Ann Coulter opened my mind by devoting a chapter to the subject in one of her books. Once my mind was opened, I was able to see the inconsistencies and improbabilities in the theory as well as the rigid dogmatism of its proponents.

So does that mean God created life on earth? Hell yes. I always believed that, even though I thought he chose a rather slow and cumbersome way to do it (in evolution). Now I am open to the possibilities that he chose better ways to do it. How? I have no idea, and that doesn't bother me in the least. There's a lot to be said for retaining our childlike awe at the vast, wonderful, imponderable universe - while continuing our search for answers.




See also this article at No Sheeples Here - it's excellent.

No comments: