Sunday, November 23, 2008

Perez Prado and "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White"

One of the great things about the internet is that you can find almost any topic of interest. Remembering the Kennedy assassination yesterday opened some channels in my mind. This morning I woke up thinking about a song I have always loved -- "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" by legendary band leader Perez Prado.

This song was popular in 1955. My father would take me and Bro deep sea fishing in San Francisco Bay. We would get up at 3:00 AM, drive from Stockton to San Francisco and take a charter boat out into the bay to fish for Salmon and Striped Bass. The world is a very unfriendly place at three in the morning. Before embarking over the freezing waters of the bay, we would stop at a restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf and have breakfast. Invariably, "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" would be oozing from a jukebox. I always associate the song with freezing my ass off at three in the morning, riding a pitching boat over the swells through patches of jelly fish, feeling slightly seasick and, ultimately, catching some big ol' striped bass.

But the song is more than that. It is just beautiful, and it's timeless. The lead trumpet part is just excellent, flowing up and down the scale like a roller coaster at Playland by the Beach. The bongos, the baritone sax, the musicians shouting "Hoo-Uh!" Life was so raw but so real then.

The song is embedded below. It will always be one of my very favorites. Enjoy.


No comments: