Monday, April 13, 2009

Meghan McCain on Gay Republicans

Stacy McCain has been taking Meghan McCain to task for her trendy politics and her personal quest to live up to all those dumb blonde stereotypes. Her latest gambit in pursuit of "progressive Republicanism" was to give a speech to the Log Cabin Republicans, a group of gay people. Meghan thinks the GOP ought to avoid unnecessarily alienating gay people.

Stacy isn't related to Meghan -- she's the daughter of Senator John McCain, former presidential candidate for the Republican Party. Meghan's politics are a lot like her father's...confused. However, she has a point.

I am not in favor of gay marriage, but I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep if it were passed by the various states (the Federal Government should have no say under the Constitution). Further, I think it is only a matter of time before most states adopt laws making gay marriage legal. Why? Because it's a freedom issue. Because two guys or two women getting married and living together really doesn't affect me or you.

I would prefer that marriage remain between one woman and one man, as it has been for thousands of years in hundreds of different cultures. I fear that the gay marriage issue may be "cultural Marxism," wherein the Left seeks to undermine tradition and culture for the purpose of undermining western civilization. Are they really sincere about gay equality in marriage, or is it just a vehicle for promoting discord and civil unrest? It is difficult to say if gay marriage would ultimately prove beneficial or harmful to our civil society. The jury, for me, is still out.

There is one point though, where I agree with Meghan: anti-gay rhetoric, anti-gay hostility is not beneficial to the conservative cause. It was a gay man, Oliver "Billy" Sipple who in 1975 saved the life of President Gerald Ford when a radical leftist, Sarah Jane Moore, attempted to assassinate him. She fired one shot and missed, and was attempting to fire again. Sipple, an ex-Marine, grabbed her arm just as she was aiming the gun, spoiling the shot. I remember that incident and how it substantially altered my opinion of who gay people are. This guy was no limp-wristed wimp. The incident provided me with a personal epiphany: sometimes gay people are downright heroes, worthy of admiration, gratitude and respect.

Another gay man is also one of my personal heroes: Mark Bingham. On September 11, 2001, he was one of the passengers on Flight 93. He was one of the heroes who rushed the cockpit and foiled the terrorist attempt to crash the plane into Washington, D.C., probably the White House or the Capitol Building, saving an untold number of lives. Like all the other heroes of Flight 93, he gave his life in the service of his country. God bless him.

I do agree that a person's sexual orientation is but one aspect of that person's makeup, and not the most important one either. Both Sipple and Bingham proved that beyond any shadow of a doubt. I don't give a damn that either of them were gay.

Over at the blog GayPatriot, you will find a lot of wisdom and good conservatism in the posts and in the message section. Do I consider these people my friends and allies? You bet.

I'll never be a cheerleader for the gay lifestyle, but gay or straight, a friend is a friend.

via: The Other McCain
via: GayPatriot
via: Memeorandum

No comments: