Friday, July 09, 2010

Jimmy Buffett: a Line from "Margaritaville" Was Truly Prophetic; This Could Be Obama's Theme Song!

Jimmy Buffett sang only one song that I like, and that was "Margaritaville."  Yes, it is a song about a lush somewhere on the Gulf Coast, looking for his "long lost shaker of salt" who awakens one day to find he has a tattoo ("how it got there I haven't a clue.")

I know this song; it's easy to play and has fun lyrics.  But then it dawned on me:  this song could be Barack Obama's theme song!  The singer describes himself as someone wandering about in a stupor, making missteps ("I blew out my flip flop...stepped on a pop top"), not having a clue and denying that anything is his own fault, while "watchin the tourists all covered with oil."  And boy, are they.  The latter verse goes:
Nibblin on sponge cake
Watchin the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil
Yep, thanks to Obama's incompetence or malfeasance, there are now plenty of tourists all covered with oil.  And we're not talking about sunscreen.

Jimmy Buffett, the author and singer of this tune is a big Obama fan.  He recently claimed that the Gulf oil spill is "Bush's fault," because somehow Bush was "chummy" with the oil industry...or that he used oil in his pickup...or something.  Fox News has the story.

Readers at Fox News have been castigating Buffett for the ignorance of his remarks.  Here are a couple of examples:
chrisxx
Jimmy would do well to do a tad more research on more reputable news sources than his apparent "guiding lights" on the far left. Denzel Obama had the Supreme Court overturn a Bush Administration decision banning deep water drilling without a disaster plan AGAINST the advice of President Bush. BP also contributed $1 million dollars to Denzel's campaign and they are the number one fuel source for the US military. Perhaps that could be a factor in why he sat on it for nine days before uttering a frigging word and also why it's STILL leaking! Snap out of it Jimmy...or should we call you Lemming Buffett?
raleigh222 
Hey Jimmy, It was OBAMA that gave deepwater and BP the waiver, not Bush. Stick to margaritas and music, Thanks for trying to help.
Obama should be singing along with Buffett:  "Some people say there's a woman Bush to blame...but I know...it's my own damn fault."  Here are the words to "Margaritaville."  Let's all sing along!  Or not.

Margaritaville
By Jimmy Buffett, 1977

Nibblin on sponge cake
Watchin the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil


Strummin my six-string
On my front porch swing
Smell those shrimp they're beginnin to boil

Chorus:
Wastin away again in margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's nobodys fault

I don't know the reason
I stayed here all season
Nothin to show but this brand new tattoo


But it's a real beauty
A Mexican cutie
How it got here I haven't a clue

Chorus:
Wastin away again in margaritaville
Searchin for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
Now I think
Hell, it could be my fault

I blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop-top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home

But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

Chorus:

Wastin away again in margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's my own damn fault

Yes and some people claim that there's a woman to blame
And I know it's my own damn fault


This last line could really apply to Obama.  After all his denials about the oil spill, he finally has to admit that it really is "his own damn fault."

No comments: