Saturday, January 01, 2022

New Year in New York

I live in California so do not usually watch the New Year’s Eve celebrations in New York’s Times Square.  They are three hours ahead of us on the West Coast.  This year, however, I was able to watch it in real time, using my iPad and an app called EarthCam.   I saw some singers and dancers, but also crowds of young people in glittery top hats and Covid masks, undulating to peppy music while shaking long yellow balloons.  Then as the clock began the final countdown to midnight, the famous Times Square ball began to drop, changing colors as it did so, and everyone shouting Happy New Year and kissing.  

Looking at the spectacle from the warmth of my sofa, I was glad to not be there.  With thousands of people filling the streets, where do you go to the bathroom? Where do you sit down?  How do you vacate Times Square easily?  No thanks.  




No comments: