Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Governator


Today is the primary election in California where I live. I always vote come hell or high water. They had new electronic voting machines at the polling place, and asked if I wanted to use one of them or if I wanted the old punched card system. Being a high tech junkie, I opted for the new touch screen electronic voting machine.

After asking the officials how to reboot or get internet access, they grinned politely and gave me a plastic card to insert in the machine. Once they produce the card, you have 15 minutes to vote. No problem, I always come prepared, with my mailed sample ballot marked in advance.

It was the easiest voting I ever did. You touch the screen to mark each box, push next to go to the next screen, and get a chance to review a paper copy of your vote before finalizing it. You can make changes if you made a mistake. I didn't, so touched the submit ballot icon on the screen and I was all done.

I could only vote for Republicans, because that's what I am registered as, so I voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger for Governator again. But, I did so without much enthusiasm. Arnie's a political chameleon who will change his stripes to whatever color the voters want, and Californians overwhelmingly prefer pink candidates and a blue state. The best man for the job is running for Lt. Governor, however, and that is Tom McClintock, a conservative Republican who knows the state like the back of his hand. Ask any question on any subject related to governing the state of California and he will give you an answer that is highly informed, well reasoned and sensible. Republican voters rejected him last time because they were afraid he couldn't win in California.

We've just got to get Tom to beef up and make a few movies as a killing machine from the future. Some sunglasses wouldn't hurt either. I mean, what's really important anyway?

I drew the above pic of the Governator back in 2003. It's one of the best things I ever drew, I think.

2 comments:

Jeremayakovka said...

Voted Republican for the first time on Tuesday - felt great, felt clean, felt strong, felt free. I know what you mean about McClintock - in a way the Loot Guvner race is more interesting.

Prop 82 was DOA - that was fun, too

Stogie said...

Good for you, jmk! Yes, I'm sure Rob Reiner is pissed that his fleece the rich proposition lost. Both of the propositions lost, and I was happy to vote with the majority in defeating them.