Monday, June 05, 2006

Ronald Reagan


President Ronald Reagan died two years ago today. It's a hard date for me to forget, since he died on my wedding anniversary. I have been married to my dear wife thirty years today. (Well I told you I'm a geezer.)

I drew this picture of President Reagan three days after he died, copying one of my favorite photos of him.

President Reagan was a perpetual optimist who loved his country and the American people.

He was one of those rare politicians who makes you feel proud to be an American.

I loved the guy. I voted for him twice.





6 comments:

Mayden' s Voyage said...

I was almost 11 when he was elected in 1980...by the time I was 19, I got to vote for GB. It was one of my proudest moments...I wore that Orange "I Voted Today" sticker all day! I actually still have it in a scrap book :)
Thanks for this tribute to a really good man, an American Hero-if you asked me:)
-Cora :)

Stogie said...

Thanks Cora! Nice to hear from you.

Dag said...

Congratulations to you and your gal, Stogie.

I think, when I read about the world we live in, that most problems would be gone if only there were competent parents raising their children rightly. I feel sick when I read about and meet Muslims. They have no chance to have a parent like you. That is a devastating punishment undeserved.

When we do what we do I know a lot of people think it's due to meanness on our parts, but for my part I argue that it is to allow children the right to decent parents, something they will forever be denied in the world of Islam. I argue for school teachers with guns who teach Socratic elenchus and dialectic. Shoot the rotten parents. It's a heart-breaking thing to see Muslim kids.

I'm happy for you, Stogie, and for your wife and kids.

Stogie said...

Dag, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar and I do value your friendship.

Pastorius said...

Congrats, Stog. 30 years. That is awesome. I have been with my wife 17 years. I love her more with each passing year. Marriage has been a real blessing to me.

Stogie said...

Pas, yeah, don't let anyone tell you that marriages or love can't last. When you find the right one it's not that hard.