Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Christmas Observation

The verse below is my favorite quote from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. This short novel was written in 1843 and has seen 165 Christmases since it first charmed the English public.

Scrooge's nephew Fred to Scrooge. . .

'There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,' returned the nephew. Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round. . . as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!'
You can read the entire novel online at this link.
Picture at right: Charles Dickens

No comments: