Thursday, December 04, 2008

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

There's nothing but bad news to report these days. To hell with that, I'm going to enjoy life anyway.

Here's a recording of one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee. The song was recorded in 1958, fully fifty years ago. I swear, the best music is all behind us now. The song was rereleased in 1959 but did not catch on until 1960 when Brenda Lee was finally becoming known and popular.

I love the Fender Stratocaster in this song, with the treble turned up and the guitar player grooving away. The song reminds me of America circa 1960, which is when I think I first noticed this song. There were red and green and blue lights on our real Christmas tree which filled the house with the scent of pine; it was a time when the rock was hot and the girls were pretty and feminine. That year my dad bought Bro a Fender Jazzmaster guitar and bought me a Fender Jazz Bass, which was a prototype since they weren't officially released until 1962 (my dad was a Fender dealer in those days).

Brenda Lee is still performing today. You can check her schedule at her website here.

Okay enough Stogie philosophy, listen to the song. Take notes, there will be a quiz.







A photo of Brenda Lee as she looks today is at the right. You're still hot, Brenda.

No comments: