Monday, March 05, 2007

Ann Coulter, What Were You Thinking???

I have long been a fan of Ann Coulter. I read her books. I admire her courage and her debating skills. However, she sometimes pushes controversy to the limit. Last Friday she stepped over the limit at the CPAC (Conservative Political Action Committee) meeting in Washington, DC. In a speech to the attendees, she quipped that Democrat Presidential candidate John Edwards is a "faggot."

Saying unpopular things that are true is bravery, using slurs that aren't true is just plain stupid. For the first time in my life, I am ashamed of Ann Coulter. She showed a remarkable lack of taste and judgment in using this slur. She greatly undermined her own credibility and will have it thrown in her face for years to come, and deservedly so.

John Edwards is not gay to my knowledge. True, he is a lightweight, an airhead, a pretty boy, a man without any principles other than becoming president, an empty suit. I wouldn't vote for Edwards if he was running for dog catcher. But he's not gay, and even if he were, I would never call him "faggot," which is a bigoted slur that will only inflame passions for no good reason.

You blew it Ann. What in God's name were you thinking?

No comments: