Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The First Time Ever I Saw Her Face

The first time I ever heard this song was on the radio in my apartment right after breaking up with someone I loved very dearly. Rather, she broke up with me. She was Chinese and her family did not approve of her marrying a white boy.

Hearing Roberta Flack's lovely words was like a knife in the heart, as they described exactly how I felt about my former love and lover. The emotion was intensely sweet and equally painful. The one that got away always owns a part of our heart, it seems, no matter how many years pass.

Later I found a new love, one much better suited to me. Now the words belong to her in far greater ways than they ever did to the lost love. Listen and enjoy.



The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the endless skies, my love,
To the dark and the endless skies.

The first time ever I kissed your mouth
And felt your heart beat close to mine
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command, my love
That was there at my command.

And the first time ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
And I knew our joy would fill the earth
And last till the end of time my love
It would last till the end of time my love

The first time ever I saw your face, your face,
your face, your face

No comments: