Friday, June 19, 2009

The Calin Wultur Loses Its Virginity

And no, it wasn't because I'm kinky. My Calin Wultur Panormo string bass got to play (musically, I mean) with another musician tonight, for the first time. I went over to the guitarist's house and took the Calin with me. The guitar player is a software engineer in Silicon Valley and had his garage turned into a very impressive playing and recording studio. We listened to some recordings of old songs remade in a very modern and jazzy style by singers like Norah Jones. I really like that chick. She can definitely SING. She takes ancient songs like Hank Williams's "Cold Cold Heart" and turns it into something bluesy with a very cool beat.

Any way, guitar-man put a microphone in front of my bass and I played through the sound system. With this kind of amplification, none of the tone of the bass is lost at all and the Calin sounded warm and punchy. We played together for about an hour and the music was a soothing balm for my troubled soul. This group plays the kind of music that I love and I should fit right in. I'm anxious to practice some more.

No comments: