Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"Judge That Ye Be Not Judged" Matthew 7:1

Any moron can quote scripture, and I just proved it by quoting the one in the title.

I grew up in a fundamentalist, protestant church where it was commonly believed and often expressed that anyone outside our church was going to Hell. We were the apogee of all religious thought! We knew "THE TRUTH." Yeah, right. Apparently we knew the Bible, but not Matthew 7:1.

The above scripture, in my humble opinion is sometimes right and sometimes wrong, depending on the situation. I am not going to pronounce damnation on my Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic or agnostic friends because I do not speak for God. I DO NOT believe they are going to Hell, but that is just my gut talking to me, not my Bible Concordance. I am sure members of the Holy Righteousness Church (not its real name) could quickly find a scripture proving that God is going to fry them like eggs.

On the other hand, I am going to judge like a champion when it comes to religions that kill people, because it may be fatal to ME and my loved ones if I do not. My liberal pluralism goes out the window when someone is beheading, bombing, hanging, stoning or otherwise terminating the lives of innocent people for religious or other reasons. Islam has declared war on mankind, and since I am part of mankind, I am involved whether I like it or not. Anyone who wants to live and let live is my ally and my friend in this fight, regardless of his or her religion.

I have moral clarity on this issue. Unlike liberals who constantly debate themselves and "refuse to take their own side in a fight," (Robert Frost 6:14) I am sure that "all it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke 23:12)

I just made up the verse references so our fundamentalists can feel at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute Stogie, very cute. Nice title.
ILIAT
Gary