Monday, March 13, 2006

Message to Muslims: Live and Let Live


There are many religions in the world. As my best Muslim friend once told me, "We are all trying to get to the same place." Razia, a beautiful Pakistani, considers herself a Muslim but does not pray five times a day, nor does she wear a hijab, abaya or burqa, but does eschew pork and is a member of the local mosque. She dresses like any modern Western woman. Once, at a mutual client, she spied a copy of the New Testament on the desk of an executive she liked personally. She pointed to it and said, "Look, how sweet." She thought it was nice that her friend believed in God and sought salvation.

Razia, I fear, does not really understand her religion nor does she know what it actually teaches. In fact, if she returned to Pakistan, it is likely that she would be hanged as an apostate.

As we got to know each other, we looked out for each other in the rough and tumble business world of Silicon Valley. I sent her business and she did the same. I watched her back, she watched mine. I care for her because she is a decent human being and happily, a lousy Muslim. I don't believe it is possible to be both at the same time.

Let's be honest: God did not give mankind a clear operating manual on why we are here, what we should do while we are here, and where we are going. Many religions have arisen attempting to fill in the blanks. Because of the ambiguity of this life, I have no problem with most religions, unless they are violent like Islam or deny medical care to people like Christian Scientists or deny blood transfusions like Jehovah's Witnesses. I would not have any problem with Muslims if they believed as I do in the maxim, "Live and let live." Worship God in your own way and leave others in peace to do the same, or to be atheists or agnostics if they choose. My relationship with God is between me and God, it is not between me, you and God.

Unfortunately, the founder of Islam made it very clear that "Live and let live" is not Islam's motto. It is more like, "Convert to Islam or die." Muslims' faith gives us very little leeway in our choices, and that is the reason for the growing hostility in the non-Muslim world. That and the daily fare of murder, mayhem and other crimes against humanity.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's be honest: God did not give mankind a clear operating manual on why we are here, what we should do while we are here, and where we are going.

You err, not knowing the Scriptures...” Luke 24:44

2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproving, for correcting, for instruction in justice, that the man of God may be perfect, equipped for every good work.

Stogie said...

I know the scriptures, my presumptuous amigo. I have read the entire Bible. I do not consider it a clear operating manual. If it were, there wouldn't be separate Jewish and Christian faiths, dozens if not hundreds of different Christian sects and donominations, and numerous other religions.

Anonymous said...

14: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. So just reading it is not enough

it were, there wouldn't be separate Jewish and Christian faiths, dozens if not hundreds of different Christian sects and donominations, and numerous other religions.
I Corinthians 14:33 says that, "God is not the author of confusion."
so who is?

Stogie said...

I think Jesus said that all the law and the prophets can be summed up in one sentence: Love your neighbor as yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Jesus cut to the chase. Now if quoting various scriptures out of context will get you into Heaven, you're a shoo-in, bro.

Anonymous said...

You quote Jesus quite well.

How is your performance, and what would He think of your blog??

Gary

Anonymous said...

"God is not the author of confusion."

I love that qoute!

Gary

Stogie said...

Gary, God may not be the author of confusion, but he didn't do much for clarity either. He pretty much left us to figure it all our for ourselves.

As for "What would Jesus think of my blog," I have no idea. I do not pretend to speak for God or for Jesus as say, someone who has memorized a couple of scriptures, or someone who imagines that his pet peeves and prejudices reflect the opinions of the Divine.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stogie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.