Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stogie News: Mexico, Music, and Morgan Hill

Stung by a Ten Pound Bee
Ugh, I developed bursitis this past week and it was very painful.  That is the reason for my lack of posting.

I wrenched my arm moving my bass amplifier upstairs, and a couple of weeks later bursitis was in full, throbbing pain mode.  Bursitis is a condition when little sacs of fluid (called bursae) between muscle and bone swell up.  It hurts like living hell.  Imagine getting a bee sting on your shoulder, but the bee was as big as a tennis ball and weighed 10 pounds.  The result of this was that I had to sleep sitting up for the past week, getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep per night.  Finally, I went to the doctor and he gave me some topical ointment that actually works, and some pain pills and today I feel much better.  I actually had eight hours of sleep last night, laying down, in an actual bed.  Kewl!

Playing Music with Mexicans in Morgan Hill
My band played at a private party, out in the open, in Morgan Hill last Sunday.  The weather was gorgeous, and since we practice every week we are, to use a term of art, very "tight."  Confident, self-assured and in key.  The lady who was having a birthday was Mexican and there were many Mexicans there, including two other bands, both of which sang their songs in Spanish.  We had shared practice space with one of these bands earlier in the week and became fast friends.  Most Mexicans are very nice people and have a beautiful culture, that no doubt would show its better aspects if the terrible Mexican government could be replaced with one that is pro business, efficient and free of corruption.  What Mexico needs most is REGIME CHANGE.

That being said, I still oppose illegal immigration without reservation.  Instead of applauding a Mexican president for attacking our national sovereignty, we should be pressuring him and other Mexican politicians to enact reforms that will increase Mexican prosperity and opportunity for its own citizens, who would then have less of a need to enter our country illegally.  Border fences and guards are necessary and needed, but they are only treating the symptoms of the disease.  Ultimately, the actual cause (Mexican poverty) must be solved to end the problem.  That doesn't mean us bailing them out or giving them boatloads of free money.  It means Mexicans themselves must find a way to prosper in their resources-rich country.  Hint:  it's spelled C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-S-M.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.

No comments: